Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Turkey Kale Soup Recipe

Some of you fabulous readers may remember that I have recently eliminated several ingredients from my diet.  Dairy, soy, gluten and eggs are some of the things I have to avoid.  A bistro near me makes an incredible turkey kale soup that I practically lived off of for a week while I was finding recipes and learning to shop for my new diet.  I knew turkey kale soup was one of the first things I needed to make!

I used the bistro's recipe as an inspiration and think I came pretty close!  Here is a list of ingredients:

1 pound of ground turkey
1 14oz can or 2 cups of chicken broth
2 cups of water
2-3 cups of kale, washed and torn
1 can of crushed tomatoes
1 cup of sliced carrots
1 cup of sliced celery
1 teaspoon of minced garlic
1 teaspoon of onion powder
1 table spoon of seasoned salt

*Peas, rice and other vegetables optional

This is super easy to make and doesn't need too long to simmer.  First you'll need to brown the turkey.  While that's browning combine the water, broth and crushed tomatoes together in a large pot on medium heat.  Add the celery, carrots, and seasonings.  Those will need to simmer.  When the turkey is done, drain it and combine it with the rest in the pot.  Let everything simmer together until the vegetables are cooked.  Once everything else is done, add the kale and let it wilt into the soup.  It only needs to cook for 3-4 minutes max.  That's it!

You can also add leftover cooked rice, peas, squash or other vegetables.  I have added spaghetti squash to it when I add the kale and it's delicious!

I know we are into Spring time now so you might be tired of soup, but this one is lean and pairs well with a salad or light sandwich.  I hope you enjoy!





-Michelle





No comments:

Post a Comment