Saturday, November 1, 2014

Sieze The Day and Try Ballet

This morning I seized the day! Carpe diem!  I took an adult ballet class today!  I love all types of dance but ballet is probably my favorite.  Did you know that ballet is the foundation of all dance and furthermore, many athletes take ballet classes?  From an athletic standpoint, ballet helps with strength, flexibility, and body awareness.  Conversely, from a personal growth view, ballet also helps with poise, grace, and memory.  
I haven't taken a ballet class since I graduated high school *ahem* ten years ago (ok, really 14 but don't tell!) and I have always wanted to do back.  Today I did.  It was awesome!  Sure, I had fun and loved the dancing, but my hip flexors and thighs are still shaking from exertion over an hour later.  
If you have never taken a ballet class then you should know that they are all basically consist of the same things.  First, there is a warm up with exercises completed at the barre.  These exercises not only warm up your muscles but work your flexibility.  The barre work increases in difficulty as the class progresses and works your leg muscles to lengthen and stretch them. After the barre work there will be dance steps in the center of the room.  Turns and jumps are usually practiced next,  Finally there will be a combination of steps and jumps set to music.  The combination will be several stanzas long and challenges a dancers memory too.  
Even if you aren't graceful, or don't feel graceful, ballet is a good workout.  I recommend trying it if you never have.  Step out of your comfort zone!

-Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment