Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Allergen Friendly Cupcakes

Cupcakes are one of my favorite things in the world.  Cupcakes are yummy, fun and always put me in a happy mood.  Cupcakes might not be the healthiest thing around but for celebrations and treats, they are my go too.  Recently my son, now three months, was dignosed with severe food allergies.  Hopefully he outgrows them but for the time being I had to remove the "Top 8" allergens from my diet while breast feeding.  The Top 8 Allergens are: dairy, soy, shell fish, fish, tree nuts, peanuts, eggs and wheat.  We were already an allergy family, avoiding dairy, soy, shell fish and fish so I wasn't entirely worried about removing gluten and eggs.  Boy was I wrong!  It was a shock at first and now, two weeks later, I am finally getting used to it.

One thing that has made it easier is that I know of a local farmer's market that has a vendor selling allergy friendly cupcakes.  The Mo'Pweeze Bakery offers cupcakes that are vegan and do not have any of the Top 8 Allergens in them.  They are delicious!  I could make my own cupcakes but I am a terrible baker.  Knowing that I can pick up a weekly treat for myself has made this whole experience easier.  Also, if I made my own cupcakes then I would definitely eat more than one a week!

I have been getting Mo'Pweeze cupcakes for my family and I several months now.  They are always fresh and tasty.  I prefer some flavors over others but that would be true of any cupcakes.  I have probably had most of the flavors already.  Two of my favorites are Moo's Choco Choc which is a chocolate cupcake with chocolate frosting.  The chocolate flavor is rich without being over bearing.  The chocolate frosting is delicious!  I also like Jamaican me Crazy Blue Velvet.  It's just a fun cupcake!  I actually got one this past weekend at the farmer's market:





I also got a Triple Blond Ale With Orange-Lime infused frosting.  I didn't taste much of the ale flavor.  In fact, it tasted like a delicious vanilla cupcake.  The frosting was great though!  It was very airy and the lime flavor was fragrant and tasty.  My only complaint was that it tasted like it needed to be at a summer barbecue and not served during the winter.  I will skip this flavor until it's block party season and then I will definitely be bringing these to events.

Here's a photo:


I rounded out my trip with two Funfetti flavored cupcakes for my girls.  They loved them.  I didn't get to taste them this time but from memory they taste like vanilla cupcakes with vanilla frosting.  They are very cute with their fun blue frosting.


Check out Mo'Pweeze Bakery if you are in the Northern NJ area or order and have them shipped!  Here is their website: http://www.mopweezebakery.com/.  Right now they do not have a brick and mortar store to visit but I hope they do in their future.  I like supporting them because I am also supporting a local business!  Shop local!


-Michelle

Subscribe and stay tuned for our January giveaway!

*Photos are courtesy of the blogger.  This is a non sponsored review.


1 comment:

  1. These look so tasty and its great how good they are for you. Hope your son is healthy and happy with you on this new way of eating :)

    Bex

    ReplyDelete