Sunday, December 28, 2014

The Orchid Skirt and Cailyn's Orchid Mineral Eye Polish

I love color.  And if you knew me in real life, you'll probably raise an eyebrow because I wear a lot of neutrals.  As much as I love fashion, color, or specifically wearing colors intimidates me.  Erin and I went shopping together months ago and I bought an orchid colored skirt.  It's a tulip shape, with pleats and a bit of a high waist. I love it on the hanger and it fits me well but I have not found something that I feel pairs with it perfectly.  So much time has passed that it is now winter, and in NJ that means it is too cold to wear my orchid colored skirt without some layers.  I hate buying clothes and not wearing them so I promised myself that I would wear this skirt by the end of the month.

I needed inspiration for creating a look with this skirt.  One of my favorite looks right now is pairing neutrals with brights. Obviously this isn't a new trend by any means but it is still pertinent and really wearable.  I also figured that neutrals with the bright orchid color might be less intimidating for me and therefore, more inspiring.  I Googled "pairing neutrals with brights" and was instantly drawn to the pictures I saw.  This is what fashion is for me; seeing a look and putting my own twist on it.

I like this look:


I could see myself pairing my orchid skirt with a white blouse and some jewelry.  I'm not huge on the belt and my orchid skirt is high waisted.  So maybe a crisp, white blouse with it?

The next image I was drawn to was this one:
I love how this look looks effortless and comfortable.  The bright maxi skirt is definitely the focal piece and it looks cool and a bit edgy paired with the leather jacket.  It's a little tough and a little sweet all mixed together.  So cute!  Of course, my skirt isn't a maxi skirt, but maybe pairing it with a bomber jacket and ankle boots with give it a bit of a rock n roll edge.  

I tried on the skirt with both the white shirts that I own.  As a side note, I don't think most mothers own many white shirts.  I have a boxy cut white shirt but that didn't work with the higher waist of the skirt.  I also have a white, button down shirt but it is cut shorter and has tails that tie in the front...it is very 2012 and it didn't work either.  I also then remembered my bomber jacket is in desperate need of cleaning so that wouldn't be happening until after a trip to the dry cleaner...*sigh

Being that its cold, I knew I would need tights so I tried it with black fleece tights and a black cropped sweater.  That was close but not quite what I wanted.  The knit on the sweater was a little loose and therefore a tad sheer and I just wasn't feeling that route.  So long story and a half emptied closet later, I ended up pairing the orchid skirt with a chiffon top that buttons down, which I tucked in, with thick black tights and laced up booties.  The top has gold plated buttons and I happen to have a Betsey Johnson necklace that is a mermaid set in gold with purple stones along the tail.  It was the perfect accessory!  
And to carry on the orchid theme, I also tried Cailyn's Just Mineral Eye Polish in Orchid.  I received it in my December ipsy bag and this was the perfect occasion to try it out.  I'll tell you more about ipsy soon.  Until then just know it is awesome!  I was a little apprehensive about the Cailyn Eye Polish because I couldn't tell from the packaging whether it was an eye shadow, illuminating product or even some type of liner.  

When I opened it I found that it is a highly pigmented, very metallic powder.  I went to apply a thick line to my upper lashes but it had a different idea.  I ended up using it as an eye shadow and then applying a bit as highlighter too.  The latter happened because some of the powder dusting fell and trying to remove it wasn't going to happen.  I think I salvaged it decently considering it came at me like an eye shadow ninja.  The color was bright and lasted well.  It was more pink than purple which I was little surprised by.  The picture doesn't do it justice!  However, overall I really liked the product and will be ordering it again.  I didn't apply it with an type of eye shadow base which I will do going forward to keep it from creasing.  If you plan on wearing eye liner with it, then I would definitely reach for liquid or gel.  Pencil is not going to work well on top of it.  I needed two coats of mascara to cover the metallic dust it left on my lashes but that didn't bother me.  
-Michelle
* Two images are courtesy of a Google search.  The product reviewed was personally purchased and no part of this review was endorsed by the company.  

Follow us on Twitter at @2StrongGirlsCM
"Like" us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/2stronggirls

Subscribe for new posts on Sunday and Wednesday.  Comment and share!




1 comment: