Sunday, January 18, 2015

Puffy and Tutu Skirts


Lately I have seen a huge influx of tutu, puffy, and tulle skirts in magazines and on social media.  I haven't seen as many in stores but I am hoping they are catching up on the trend and more will be available soon.  I fully admit that I have always secretly, and not so secretly, loved full, puffy skirts.  In fact, the fluffier the better!  There is something so fun and whimsical about twirling a skirt and feeling it swish around your legs.  I gave up full skirts for awhile.  I felt that A-line or pencil skirts suited my figure better.  However, I secretly missed my puffy skirts.  A couple years ago I did a photo shoot in a vintage dress with a full skirt.  Even though you can't see the tulle underneath, it had that extra layer of puff that awakened my former adoration of tutu skirts.  I've been hooked again ever since!
Here is a picture of me in the dress that restarted it all:
This photo was done by Flash Forward Photography.  After this photo shoot was over I knew I had to find more full, tutu skirts.  It took awhile... A couple of cross country moves, having my second daughter, and other general busy-ness got in the way of the search.  And I admit, I kind of forgot...or put puffy skirts on the back burner.  When I started seeing tutu and tulle skirts creep onto Pinterest, Flickr, and into magazines, I was very excited.  Over the summer I had the opportunity to go to Betsey Johnson's yard sale.  YES, you absolutely read that correctly and I will be telling you more about it in another post coming soon! I love Betsey Johnson.  I love everything about her aesthetic, her spirit, and her spunk.  If you know her designs, you know she loves tutus and I knew I had to get a Betsey tutu at her sale.  And I did!!!  I also got this adorable magenta, lace, twirly skirt.  Both the tutu and the twirly skirt have been living in my closet since July.  I've been too nervous and admittedly, also too intimidated to wear them...until today.  Today I attended a baby shower for a dear friend and I knew it was a perfect occasion for the magenta twirly skirt. Erin snapped a photo:
It's hard to tell from the picture, but I am wearing navy tights and booties with this outfit.  The top is from Marshalls and the necklace is from Forever 21.  Also, if you remember last week's post, I am currently loving the royal blue trend and this outfit also encompassed that obsession.  If you didn't read it then you can do so here. I really loved this outfit and can't wait to wear it again when it's a bit warmer outside.  I love that the bottom of the skirt has wired ribbon that helps hold is shape and give it extra volume.  

In fact, I loved wearing it so much that I immediately came home and checked some of my favorite online retailers and social media to order a skirt that is more of an actual tutu or tulle material skirt.  I came across this beauty on Chic Wish and placed an order:
I think this will be cute with a Tshirt or easy to dress up with a crisp shirt and pin or scarf.  I hope its as full as it appears in the picture.  I like the ribbon detailing on the bottom and think black will be easy to work into my wardrobe. 

What are your thoughts on tutu style skirts?  I feel happy in tutu style skirts.  They make me feel feminine, whimsical, pretty and flirty all at once.  It's important to wear what makes you feel good and that's definitely how I felt earlier today in my Betsey Johnson magenta skirt.

-Michelle

Follow us on Twitter @2StrongGirlsCM
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/2stronggirls
Follow us on Blog Lovin https://www.bloglovin.com/people/michelle63105

Please like, comment, share, and subscribe!

*Photos used in today's post were courtesy of Flash Forward Photography (with permission), ChicWish.com, and the blogger.




No comments:

Post a Comment