Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Role Models & Boots

I have looked up to this woman for many years.  I have read her book, watched her interviews, and definitely followed her fashion.  Although she is known as an exemplary role model for the modern day business woman, her class shines through both in the board room and while modeling a bikini.  There is something about the way she carries herself, speaks, and the patience and professionalism she embodies that draws me to idolize her.  Any word she speaks is specifically chosen and purposeful, bringing value and nothing extra nor unnecessary.  If only I had known what The Wharton School [of business] was when I was busy recording Green Day onto my cassette tape in the 90s, I would have applied.  Yes, her life is extravagant, but that doesn't mean it's easy to have a family and work full time.  She doesn't settle for her luck, and I envy her ambition to expand her business stature even greater into fashion, writing, blogging, as well as real estate.  I'm sure her publicist posts for her, but I love the fact she cooks for her extended family and posts her recipes for me to try.  Her blog includes articles about a wide array of topics.  It currently features #WomenWhoWork, showcasing the multidimensional lives that strong females passionately lead.  I hope to meet her one day.  Have you guessed yet?  As a fellow female entrepreneur, what would I ask with one hour with Ms. Ivanka Trump?

My intrigue only grew last winter, when I tried on a pair of black suede over-the-knee boots from her collection. Does she really draw the designs, or just okay them with a simple red pen, scribbling "IT" next to each sketch she is seeing for the first time?  Does she really wear her shoe line?  I pondered these questions as I walked back and forth through Macy's with one shoe on and one shoe off, baring one dirty gym sock while checking for comfort.  I didn't love the suede at first, but it looked very classic once on!  I had finally found a black boot that didn't leave a 4 inch gap between my leg and the shaft of the boot!  Thank you Ivanka!  I could look fashionable without looking like I was wearing waders on my way to fish in a lake!  My calf is 12.5 inches round and the normal circumference of boots seems to be 14-16 in, so they don't look very proportionate on me.  Only the floor model was left in my size, and I went home with a size 6.5 Ivanka Trump Monty flat suede tall boot by Ivanka Trump.  (Not to be biast, I did find another perfect calf fitting pair by Nine West last season as well.  Ms. T brought me luck!)

Fast forward to the day after Christmas this year, and I had to use my $20 off $40 in Lord and Taylor so I barely made it 20 feet into the department store and saw black heeled Ivanka Trump Atilla Over The Knee Boots.  In my old age of early thirties, I love my flats, but I love the sophistication of a pointy toe skinny-heeled boot just as much!  Again, only the floor model was left in my size, and the size 6 Atilla fit perfectly!

They were comfortable too!  I know, because I walked ten feet up and down the aisle, over and over and over again back and forth first fast then slow, then I did the twist to check the slip ratio.  I was so excited and felt almost empowered by these beautiful boots, so when I realized what I was doing, in my own world, but actually in a store, I twisted again the other way and pretended to fix a shirt on the rack as to make up for my wild antics in public.  Just like Isla Fisher in the movie Confessions of A Shopaholic, I enter a dream world when I strike gold like this while shopping and could almost feel the wind knocked out of me by the gorgeous pair of heels.  I stood there pretending to look in the mirror at them, but really was thinking about how they felt to stand.  My mind wondered and I imagined I was standing at a subway in NYC, then on line for a table at a restaurant in Little Italy in the city, the boots paired with a black lace knee length dress and a long coat, soft loose curls, and bold red lipstick.  "How are those working out for you," the sales associate said, and I looked at her for a long moment before answering.  I wondered how long I was standing motionless under bright fluorescent lights, caught up in my childlike imagination, brought on by the unbelievable comfort that this stiletto heel offered.  "I'll take them!"  I was sold, even though they were not on the 60% off table.  My last purchase of the season, and they are beauties.

Maybe, just maybe, this was a sign, or a little reminder that if I work hard, I will be successful!  Do you have a female, celebrity or personal friend that you look up to who motivates you to succeed in life?  My real inspiration is my mom for her business skills and kind heart but I also thank Ivanka for the inspiration and for the boots!  Comment below to share your female role model and why they have impacted you!


Me after purchasing the Ivanka Trump Atilla boots!
Wearing: Guess navy jacket with faux leather detail, Dana Buchman wedge boots from last season

 Ivanka Trump Monty  (photo courtesy of www.6pm.com)


Ivanka Trump Atilla (photo courtesy of www.6pm.com)


www.IvankaTrump.com (photo courtesy of www.IvankaTrump.com)

-Erin

*All products mentioned were personally purchased, and not endorsed by the company.

*Updated Jan. 20, 2015: my Monty boots are actually size 6.5 since they ran smaller.

No comments:

Post a Comment