Monday, August 24, 2015

Snail Mail

I have always loved receiving mail.  I mentioned it in my post about White Lace Dresses, and I don't know why it's so exciting to me.  I see it like life seen through the eyes of a dog.  Dogs never know what is on the other side of the front door or car ride, but they are excited no matter what! They see everything as an exciting possibility for fun!  There might be a treat or tennis ball, or there might not be a treat or tennis ball, but what if there is?!  They exude big jumps and wags in case there is!

I have memories growing up where after school I was in charge of walking our dog, Ruff, and bringing in the mail.  In the summer, I walked to the mailbox every day after lunch because in late summer, the mail would bring the news we awaited all summer, the letter telling us our new teacher for the whole next school year!  This led to a phone chain around town to friends to figure out who was in your class!  In middle school, the late summer letter was even more serious because we were put on two different teams, Blue Team and Gold team, and each team had their own sets of teachers, and homerooms!  I don't know why who was sitting in the room with me during attendance while we all listened to school announcements over the intercom for 15 minutes was so important, but it was the most highly anticipated news each summer.

Christmas and birthday months would bring cards, and I just liked hearing from people who took the time to write.  It is even more personal now that social media has diminished human interaction, and sentimental things are ceasing to exist in general with upcoming generations.  Everything is looked at as replaceable nowadays, whether it be phones, vacuums, or spouses.  Pre-technological advancements, the olden days, had some advantages.

Ironically, I came across some relatives on social media and took a shot at reaching out.  Come to find out, one of my cousins from across the globe enjoys writing as much as I do, and we have since become pen pals, in the modern day sense via the internet of course, but more enjoyably also through hand written letters. Plus, am I really too old to attach stickers to fun colored envelopes?  Nah, I think not.

'Snail mail' has become a term associated with the lack of speed it takes to relay information to someone, so with quicker means ie. online bill pay and text messaging, some may think writing is on its way out, like newspapers and paper books.  There is a nostalgia that would be lost if that comes to fruition though.  The thought behind the message would almost disappear if all of our interactions were done out of speed and convenience.

In college, I received a postcard from anywhere my mom traveled to for work or fun, and going to my dorm mailbox would bring a smile to my face.  Maybe my mom was an old soul like I am.

I still enjoy sending postcard when I travel.  Sometimes to just family, and other times to different friends, or just one friend.  It's funny how when away from home, or during Christmas, it seems more reasonable to contact people versus any other time of the year.

Here are a few articles of 'snail mail' I received over the last few months.

I find that many people seem to enjoy receiving something hand written, because your personal touch was aimed distinctively at that person.  You took the time for that person.  There will still be the people who send you a card during Christmas and just sign From, whoever, with absolutely no note and no ounce of personality to it, but so be it.  Make someone feel special today.  I encourage you to write out at least one hand written card or note a week, or even a month.  I'm sure a parent, sibling who lives away from home, or old friend or even a new one would smile fondly if they opened a card from you that said,
"Hey You, Thinking of you lately!  See ya soon!  Love, Me"

Give it a try, and let me know how many letters you chose to send out!

-Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment