Saturday, March 7, 2015

Chia Seed Pudding with Protein Powder

About a year and a half ago I started focusing more on fitness and my workouts.  I did a lot of research and started to incorporate protein powder into my diet.  Having enough protein in your diet helps ensure your body is able to create muscle and when you are on a diet it also helps you feel fuller longer.  I like protein powder smoothies and all but I also looked for ways to change it up.  I tried a couple recipes for protein powder pancakes which are pretty good.  I added protein to my morning oatmeal and also froze blended protein powder and coconut milk into popsicles for the summer.  

My youngest daughter is plagued with food allergies.  I often find myself trying to make alternate treats that she can enjoy that still resemble what everyone else was eating.  My older daughter wanted pudding so I searched for an option that accommodated my youngest daughter.  Chia seed pudding came up on Google.  The first recipe that I tried was fantastic!  It is a recipe by a blogger named Aimee and her blog is called Simple Bites.  It can be found here.  Her Simple Chia Seed pudding is delicious, easily adaptable to taste and dietary needs, and has several options for flavors and garnishes.  The recipe is super simple and uses just four ingredients.  The link for her recipe is here and I used it with permission.  Thanks, Aimee!  

Here is the recipe and instructions from The Simple Bites blog:
Ingredients
  • 1/3 cup white chia seeds
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 2 tbsp maple syrup
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
Instructions
  1. Combine all the ingredients in a pint jar. Cover the jar with a lid and give it a vigorous shake.
  2. Chill for about an hour, then return to the jar and shake it up. Let chill for at least 4 hours and overnight is even better.
  3. Chia seeds will expand and turn into pudding the consistency of applesauce (it won't get really thick).
  4. Serve cold with sliced fruit or toasted nuts on top.

Now, back to the protein powder.  After I made this a few times I started adding about a half scoop of protein powder to it.  I use a vegan chocolate protein powder which flavors the pudding to a yummy chocolate.  It's delicious, healthy, and kid approved!  You can try adding your favorite protein powder in as well.  If you are looking for ways to add more protein to your diet, cure a sweet tooth, or make a healthier version of traditional pudding, then this recipe is definitely for you!  I eat chia seed protein pudding rather than a protein smoothie sometimes.  It also works as a dip for fruit, to dress up oatmeal, and in a tupperware container as a snack on the run.  

Let me know if you try out this recipe and what you think!  I would love to hear from you!

-Michelle

Follow us on Twitter @2StrongGirlsCM
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/2stronggirls
Follow us on Blog Lovin https://www.bloglovin.com/people/michelle63105

*This recipe was used with permission by the blogger, Aimee,  at SimpleBites.net.  The original recipe can be found at http://www.simplebites.net/?s=chia+seed+pudding.  

No comments:

Post a Comment