Monday, March 2, 2015

Full Skater Skirts For Spring 2015

I have spent all week looking for the perfect skater skirt.  I have wanted to bare the crop top and skirt set for some time! I wasn't interested in the pencil skirt kind, since I wouldn't feel comfortable with my food belly.  On the other hand, the high-waisted skater skirt, or full skirt in fancier terms, sits high above the stomach but isn't fitted so it is just up my alley!  

(photo courtesy of tobi.com)

My quest was for a sophisticated look like the one below with stiffer material that I could pair with a black crop top by night, and bright colored by day.  Unfortunately it is sold out!

(Photo courtesy of asos.com)
Similar style found here

While trying some on in the mall, I realized one strange thing.  One of my personal idiosyncrasies was getting in the way of what's on trend! My dislike for anything to be tight around my waist did not coincide with the look I was trying to find!  I tried on a full skirt in Charlotte Russe, and that is when I noticed that they hit just at the stomach!  Just under ribs where I like to feel zero clothing restrictions!  Needless to say, I walked out empty handed and wiped the full skirt idea fro m my mind!
As a little kid, I remember standing in dressing rooms telling my mom on the other side of the door that I wasn't sure if I wanted the new pants I was trying on.
"What's wrong with them," she'd ask.
I'd reply.  "They're touching my stomach."

Every year during back to school shopping, she would have me sit down when trying on pants to see if they dug into my waistline.  I still sit in pants in dressing rooms to this day.  I don't know what it is, but I can't do a sundress with an elastic band near the waist either.  The rubbing on my skin just irritates me.  Of course lo rise cuts perfectly suit my oddity!

I was going through my closet this weekend, looking at spring colors and just wishing away the endless snowfall here in New Jersey, and I saw a skirt I bought in Target over a month ago!  I tried it on and it's a size too big, which is perfect because it sits up high to be paired with a crop top, bodysuit, or fitted tank, but doesn't sit too snug the way my correct size would, giving me comfort and style in one!  It's now a keeper!  I didn't even know about the trend when I had spotted it and whipped it into my target while circling Target in early January!
 
                            
                                                             (xhilaration by Target)

Coincidentally, I got a text on Friday from a friend inviting me out for a birthday celebration to a lounge.  The birthday girl wanted to go somewhere dressy where she could wear heels and a dress!  Being fashionable in heels when it's 10 degrees outside (that's what my temperature gauge said on my way) and icy and snowy is not an easy task!  Heels and black ice are a no go!  I opted for black tights, black suede wedge booties, and a black shoulder cut out shirt.  My show piece was my red leather skirt purchased from Forever 21 last winter.  I only wore it once to a Christmas party because full skirts were not in style in winter 2013.  I purchased it because I had craved owning leather attire in black, brown, red, navy, and olive, and it was a unique shape when I came across it.  I am still looking for the navy and olive.  The olive skirt from InterPlayCouture is still on my mind and you can read about it here !  I had found my red last winter and pulled it for Saturday evening's outing.  

                                                 

The pic below was taken from a low angle, which causes a disproportionate look but it was fun to wear!
                                                 



Have you jumped on board with the full skirt trend or are you sticking with jean shorts this spring and summer?


-Erin

*All pieces mentioned were purchased and not endorsed.  Photos are courtesy of above stated websites or blogger.

Follow us on Twitter @2StrongGirlsCM







No comments:

Post a Comment