Friday, March 20, 2015

Sephora and Makeup Forever

Last weekend I spent about an hour at Sephora.  I had been given a gift card and my make up was begging to be updated so it made sense to go there.  I've always shopped at Ulta because our Sephora store here is tiny and inside JC Penney, while Ulta is huge in comparison with many more brands.  They also have good coupons!

I'd been reading different blogs and reviews and wanted to try Makeup Forever HD Foundation. I've been using CK One Foundation for about two years now.  I don't have any big complaints about it but was hoping to find something that would last a little longer.  I have a lipstick by Makeup Forever that is my absolute favorite lipstick.  It is their matte bright red and it is absolutely perfect.  I figured if I loved one product so much then the rest of the line must be fabulous too!  If you interested it is Rouge Intense Artist Color Number 8.  I highly recommend it!


Sephora employees are called "cast members."  I sat down with a cast member and discussed what I wanted from a new foundation and that I also needed a concealer for my under yes.   Basically, I wanted a light to medium coverage foundation that had good staying power and blended easily and a concealer that is goof proof.  She agreed that the Makeup Forever HD Foundation was a good choice for foundation and we agreed to start there.  She used an electronic device to take a close up picture of my face that uses a program to choose the best shade for your skin tone.  She applied the foundation and it seemed like it was ok.  She asked if I had a concealer in mind and I mentioned Benefits Pore Perfection but she recommended Makeup Forever's Ever Full Cover Concealer.  She put it on my under eyes and they did look better.  The bags and darkness were much less noticeable.  The cast member finished off the look with a loose powder.  I took a look in the mirror and was a bit uncertain.  I looked a little dry and a little dry. The cast member assured me that the light in their store is terrible- which it is!  She also said that a moisturizing primer would help with dryness.  My skin is dry so that made sense to me.  I love makeup but I am not an expert by any means and I trusted her knowledge.

I ended up buying the Makeup Forever HD Foundation, Makeup Forever Ever Full Concealer, a moisturizing primer by Makeup Forever, and Makeup Forever HD Microfinish Powder.  Oddly, I could not find a picture of the primer online so it is not pictured.


I was excited to put on my new makeup before ballet last Tuesday morning.  I used the primer and it was not sticky like other primers I have used.  My skin soaked it right in and it was gone instantly.  I applied the concealer and had a very tough time blending it.  It caked and rolled right off my face.  I worked with for awhile and then applied the foundation over top.  The foundation felt very dry to me.  I don't normally wear full coverage makeup and I imagine it felt more full coverage then I was used to.  By the time that was all on, I was practically sweating from exertion and pink with frustration.  I was now running very late, and to my horror, I looked awful.  I was too embarrassed to take a picture but it was BAD.  The foundation was much too yellow for my skin.  The concealer was now running down my cheeks and I had dry patches around my lips and chin that had not been there earlier that morning.  There was no way I was leaving the house like that so I quickly washed my face, reapplied my old CK One Foundation and got to ballet very late.  I did use the Makeup Forever HD Microfinish Powder over top and it kept my makeup looking fresh despite the light sweating at ballet.  I was sold on that product but the rest, sadly, were flops.

I returned the other products back to Sephora.  Thankfully Sephora has an excellent return policy and I received a full return without any issue.  I then purchased Benefits Pore Perfect primer and a Benefits concealer instead.  I also repurchased my usual CK One Foundation.  

One day I would love to find a makeup line that has me in love with all of their products.  The inner OCD me, appreciates all products' packaging coordinating.  Until then, I will repurchase MakeUp Forever lipsticks and MakeUp Forever HD Microfinish Powder.  The rest of their line is definitely not for me.  Have you tried their makeup?  What are your experiences?  Leave me a comment and let me know!

-Michelle

*All products mentioned were personally purchased.  This is a non sponsored review.
*All Photos are courtesy of MakeUp Forever and Ulta.com.  

Follow us on Twitter @2StrongGirlsCM
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/2stronggirls
Follow us on Blog Lovin https://www.bloglovin.com/people/michelle63105-10941499

2 comments:

  1. ooo that Makeup forever lipstick looks good! have never tried them but will definitely try them out! xxx

    Anisha - allyouneedisredlipstick.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anisha, I promise you won't be disappointed! I am repurchasing the next time I am there! xoxo, thanks for your comment

      Delete